Thursday, August 5, 2010

Pakistan: Created in the name of Islam or For Islam?


I know I shouldn't be wasting my words on such an overly debated topic of all times but hey I'am a patriot (read: patriot, don't you read: nationalist) and I have something to say.

Pakistan came into being decades ago and people who took part in that struggle are long lost in the soil. There is no way we can determine their intentions. People like Dr Ajeet Javed and Stanley Wolpert say Quaid was secular while on the other hand Saleena Karim calls it a myth. There are
people who say Pakistan was supposed to be a secular country but became an Islamic Republic and some who say its the other way around. But whats the point?

All India Muslim League which engineered the entire freedom struggle is all gone, not even a speck of it is left. Nobody reads Iqbal that much. The great 1940's Pakistan Resolution is forgotten. What is remembered is the fact that Mr. Jinnah wore great suits, he smoked cigar and that he was SECULAR. What is wrong with us. Its good to know your history and learn from it but I think it is really stupid to stay in it forever.

My dear brethren (trying to be a little poetic here ;) get over it. Doesn't matter if Pakistan was really made in the name of Islam or it was just Mr. Jinnah's desire to see his face on a country's bank-note (as some people comically allege). What really matters is what you want Pakistan to be like? Pakistan is all yours.

I want Pakistan to be a true Islamic republic. I have learned not to care about the notorious "in-the-name-of-Islam-or-for-Islam" debate anymore. I don't care at all but I really like the idea - "Pakistan ka matlab kiya, La illa ha illal lah" - and so I will work for it in my capacity. Not for Quaid-e-Azam, not for Iqbal, not for anyone in particular but just as an act performed out of good will, love and compassion. My Qarardad-e-Maqasid!

PS: I RESPECT AND ADMIRE QUAID-E-AZAM.

God alone knows the future, but only an historian can alter the .past. Ambrose Bierce....Signing Out

2 comments: